Because who can afford books in this economy?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Review: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Title: Some Girls Are
Author: Courtney Summers
Published: January 2010
Source: Bought
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder.  Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around.  Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge.  If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day.  She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully.  Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up To Be


Wow. That's my immediate reaction to this book. The writing is wow, the characters are wow, the horribly realistic things that girls do to each other in this book is wow. From page one I was sucked in and I had to finish it as fast as I could, had to know what happened next, had to know more of what Regina's life was like before. It was compulsive.

Regina Afton is a major bitch. She's not that girl, but her right hand, the one who would do anything for her. That makes her almost as bad. Until she isn't her right hand anymore. In fact, she's Public Enemy #1. Then she starts to feel remorse for the things that she's done to people. How twisted is that? She's basically saying: I did horrible things to you, but I'm not going to feel bad about it until I'm not at the top of the food chain anymore. And yet, the entire time I was on her side. Yeah, I knew that she'd done bad things, things that I definitely don't agree with, but for some reason I didn't care. I wanted things to go well for her. That is the genius of Courtney Summers.


Regina was wonderfully developed, as were all of the other characters. I really got a sense of their personalities, and how unique they were. I really, really hated Anna and Hana. And I really loved Michael. Honestly? That I remember their names without looking them up is a really good sign. It doesn't happen all that often.


I'm not really sure what to say about the plot, because this book is so character driven. The writing though, is superb. There were times when I wanted to put down the book because I just got this terrible feeling about what was happening to Regina even though it's just fiction. Some of it really got to me. 


Basically, I absolutely loved this book. If you are a fan of contemporary fiction, this is definitely one that you need to pick up. Excellent.


Characters: 10/10
Writing: 10/10

Originality: 9/10
Plot: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Overall: 48/50 A
Cover Comments: It's just kind of "eh" for me. I don't love it but I don't hate it.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I've read Cracked Up to Be and felt the same way about the MC as you did for Some Girls Are. You want to hate her but you just can't.... I've been meaning to check out Some Girls Are but I keep forgetting to, lol. It sounds really good. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you liked this one, because it is in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my absolute favourites. Wow is the perfect word to describe it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails