Because who can afford books in this economy?

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Morganville Vampires: 1, 2, and 3 by Rachel Caine



Titles: Glass Houses, Dead Girls' Dance, Midnight Alley
Author: Rachel Caine
Published: 2006, 2007
Source: The library
Synopsis from Glass Houses (Goodreads)
From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. 


I have one word for this series: addicting. Once I got started, I was tearing through them like nobody's business. I even made an unplanned trip to the library just for the third one. Which, sadly, is the last one that my library has. Oh, but I'm definitely going to read the rest. There's no way that I could not read the rest.

It astounds me how fast I had feelings about these characters. Each of them are so unique and engaging. Their relationships are so complex and genuine. It's awesome. And the make-out scenes are amazingly hot :)

At first, a lot of things are unbelievable: why would a girl try to kill another one just because she was insulted? Well, it all falls into place pretty fast. And then your heart is racing right along with the characters, and you're practically seeing vampires around every corner.

I do have to admit that things move fast. Sometimes too fast to be believable. And sometimes things are a bit confusing.  But you know what? That is such a minor drawback. The books are awesome, I would recommend them to even the most reluctant vampire reader. Read: Love interest? NOT a vampire.

If I'm willing to buy five books just to read the rest, then you know that they're good.

Characters: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Writing: 8/10
Originality: 10/10
Endings: 10/10 (The books usually end pretty well: main conflict resolved but with a slight cliffy at the end)
Overall: 47/50 A
Cover comments: I'm not a big fan of these. I prefer the newer bindup of the first two:


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, awesome!
    I recently attended a book festival (so cool! First book event I've ever been too!) and Rachel Caine was there!
    So of course, I purchased the bindup of the first two books and I got it signed. I have tons of books borrowed from friends, the library, ya know! Just a lot!
    But with your awesome review, I gotta really bump it up on my TBR pile, don't I? :)
    Thanks for the review!
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I agree that this series moves REALLY fast, but it's definitely exciting. I love the model's eyes on the new covers, but I feel they're a bit generic, eh... Glad you enjoyed them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started getting into YA last year and I am so behind on all the cool series..LOL I have the first one The Glass House but haven't read it yet..just like I have the first Vampire Academy, House of Night, etc..LOL I have such a TBR pile...LOL Glad to hear you liked this series.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails