Because who can afford books in this economy?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Published: February 2010
Source: The Library
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I'm not a faery person. I've tried to like books about fey, really. Wicked Lovely? Meh. Tithe? Bleh. The fey and I just don't seem to get along well. When I first heard about this book I just dismissed it as another fey book that I wouldn't like. Then I kept seeing these reviews that were positively glowing, and I was intrigued. That's why I picked it up when I saw it at my library. I'm so, so happy I did.

The beginning was a little hard to get into. I wasn't a huge fan of Meghan in the beginning, and when the weird stuff starts happening I normally start to not like the book. Somehow that wasn't the case with this book, it was compulsively readable. Even if I didn't really like what was happening I still had to keep reading.

Meghan grew on me, and once I was a good chunk into the book I realized that the impossible had happened. I actually liked a faery book! I think a large part of the credit goes to Puck and Ash. The whole love triangle thing isn't super obvious yet, but there's a subtle tension that makes things so much more interesting. Dark, broody, sexy Ash is my favorite. I like Puck, but his personality would not mesh well with mine.

Something that bothered me is that the book could be kind of wordy. I'm not someone who reads all of the details, I like getting the general idea. I do understand that she had to describe a completely foreign world along with imaginary creatures, but I found myself skimming paragraphs quite a few times. There were also a couple times that I thought the plot was dragging a bit.

Basically I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would! I would recommend it to just about anyone!

Characters: 8/10
Writing: 9/10
Originality: 9/10
Plot: 8/10
Ending: 10/10
Overall: 44/50 B+

5 comments:

  1. I'm that way about faery (ie?) books as well; the sub-genre isn't usually my thing, although I have read a lot of positive reviews about this one.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really read your review because I just bought this book but I did skip down to where you rated it. I'm glad that you gave it some pretty good marks....I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know know who had another
    ultimate passion, girl??
    Jeeee-sis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wanna be Upstairs where
    we can do ANYTHING ..??
    Wanna find-out how to
    achieve eternity in the
    Great Beyond, miss gorgeous?
    'Step this Way!'
    sed the carnival barker...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Love. You.
    in His Name.
    Amen.
    I sooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    wanna meet you Upstairs, doll.
    Let's gitta BIG-OL-BEER/schnaxx.
    Yummmmy schnaxx...
    Gotta lotta tok about
    fulfilling our eternity...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails