Because who can afford books in this economy?

Saturday, August 28, 2010

DNF: Rich and Mad by William Nicholson

Title: Rich and Mad
Author: William Nicholson
Release Date: September 14th 2010
Synopsis from Goodreads:
This is a compelling and beautifully written novel about first love, first sex, and everything in between. Maddy Fisher has decided to fall in love. And not just any sort of love: can't-eat can't-sleep crazy in love. Rich Ross is after the same thing. He's set his sights high, and he's going to make it happen. The problem is, in life's messy whirlwind of friends and lies and sex, the real thing can be hard to fine. But there's always a first time for everything...

I really, really wanted to like this book. I signed up for it through an ARC tour because I THOUGHT that I was going to like this book. I probably would have if it was in first person. Sadly, it's in third person and I had trouble connecting to it. It's also very British. Something that I've noticed about myself is that I have a hard time with British books. It goes way back to trying to get into Georgia Nicholson and failing. No offense to British people, I think that's just how I am. Anyway, there is definitely an audience for this book, I've seen some great reviews, but that audience does not include me!

Rating: DNF

6 comments:

  1. I get what your saying on British books. If it's not fantasy like Narnia, Harry Potter, or something in that vein, contemporary British stories are hard for me to connect to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm British myself. And I think I find it hard sometimes to connect with American books especially when it's set in a high school where the grades are completely different to over here.
    I've worked it out now but there are so many things in American books which a lot of English people just don't get or understand.
    This book looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I know what you mean about it being very British. I'm British, and even *I* thought it was very British. I loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often have a difficult time with British books too (but I'm not sure why! Maybe the humor's just too different? Or the slang?) Anyway, I've given you an award here !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover. I feel like I shouldn't be watching! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails