Because who can afford books in this economy?

Monday, September 6, 2010

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

Title: Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters
Author: Natalie Standifor
Published: September, 2010
Source: 1 ARC Tours
Synopsis from Goodreads:
The Sullivan sisters have a big problem. On Christmas Day their rich and imperious grandmother gathers the family and announces that she will soon die . . .and has cut the entire family out of her will. Since she is the source of almost all their income, this means they will soon be penniless.
Someone in the family has offended her deeply. If that person comes forward with a confession of her (or his) crime, submitted in writing to her lawyer by New Year's Day, she will reinstate the family in her will. Or at least consider it.

And so the confessions begin....

I really, really enjoyed this book! It was so refreshing because it's not like anything I've read before! The whole premise was wonderful, and the execution was done well. I probably should have, but I didn't expect the book to be the letters that the girls wrote to their grandmother. I loved it!








 The book is broken up into three parts: Norrie's letter, Jane's letter, and Sassy's letter. I enjoyed Norrie's the most, probably because out of the three I'm most like her. And her's was such a love story. Jane's was very comical, Jane herself very cynical and snarky. Sassy's was odd. I'm not really sure what to make of both Sassy and her story. 


I loved how each girls voice was very unique, as were their stories. It was easy to forget that the girls were writing to their grandmother, but then they would reference 'you' and apologize for bad language and you'd remember. I guess that the believability factor is low, but I was having way too much fun to care.


I guess that my only complaint is that by the time I got to Sassy's story I was a bit  burned out. Reading each girls story is basically reading a different side of the same thing. 


Basically I really, really enjoyed this book! Check it out if you're looking for something heartwarming, funny, and different!


Characters:8/10
Writing: 9/10
Originality: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Ending: 8/10
Overall: 44/50 B+

7 comments:

  1. It does sound different--in a really good way! I'd heard of this book before, but never really knew what it was about. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how unique this one sounds. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ca see how it would be redundant. SOunds good though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this one, but I think the repetitive stories might make me a bit frustrated. Either way, brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this book! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    You're in for a treat with Two-Way Street :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I like the structure of the book, and how it's written from the point of view of three different people. I should check this one out. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds really cute, like a perfect read to end summer! Great review

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails