Because who can afford books in this economy?

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

Title: Coffeehouse Angel
Author: Suzanne Selfors
Published: August 2009
Source: the library
Synopsis from goodreads:

From the author of Saving Juliet comes a romantic comedy that is good to the last drop. When Katrina spots a homeless guy sleeping in the alley behind her grandmother’s coffee shop, she decides to leave him a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans, and some pastries to tide him over. Little does she know that this random act of kindness is about to turn her life upside down.  Because this adorable vagrant, Malcolm, is really a guardian angel on a break between missions. And he won’t leave until he can reward Katrina’s selflessness by fulfilling her deepest desire. Now if only she could decide what that might be . . . 

Coffeehouse Angel was a really cute, light read. It didn't take long either. I'd been wanting to read this one for a while so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that my library had it. I love romantic comedies with heart and this one fit the bill perfectly.

Katrina, the main character, was very real. I didn't feel like her emotions or actions were fake, or that she ever did something that no teenage girl in America would ever do. I liked how she was tall too, a lot of the girls in YA are tiny. Selfors did a good job with the characters, and I was fond of a lot of them by the end. Malcolm was definitely my favorite. He was just so...odd, but in a sweet way. The relationship development between him and Katrina went well also.

You would think that a book like this would be pretty predictable, right? Well, I sure didn't think so. There were some elements that I could see coming, but a lot of them were surprising. A lot of things happened that made me change the way I thought it was going to end, then change it again, then again.

There was something about it that made it less than perfect though, and I'm not really sure what it was. Maybe a slight disconnect with Katrina? Or maybe just with the whole book? Some things were a little bit confusing as well. The book was still really enjoyable though.

This book is super cute, less predictable than you think, and has a lot of heart. I really liked it.

Characters: 8/10
Writing: 8/10
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Overall: 44/50 B+
Title/Cover: 5/5 The cover models fit Katrina and Malcolm well, and the title fits the book.

5 comments:

  1. I've read this one too, but I didn't like it as much as you did unfortunately. Anyway, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty excited to see this book sitting in my school's display case...only a couple weeks before i can read it, I guess. nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds cute..found you on the Saturday Network. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review! I hadn't thought about this book in a while, but reading your thoughts has made me want to pick it up again! Thanks. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Sounds like the kind of book I'd either really like, or really hate. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails